Inquiring Seriously with Thomas Smith
January 20, 2017 Brainstorm Episode 63 - Skeptic Studio Episode 9
Hi and welcome to the Brainstorm Podcast Skeptic Studio where we do interviews, major topics, and news related to skepticism and atheism. I’m Cory and my panel tonight are Destin, Angela, Leo, Lisa, and Rene, with the always amazing Dave doing sound. We’re here in Roman Empire studios in Regina, Saskatchewan and today is January 20, 2017. You can listen live every second Friday at 8:30 pm Central Standard Time on Spreaker and you can get full length ad free episodes by becoming a patron at patreon.com/brainstormpodcast. Tonight’s guest is one of my favorite podcasters and is the host of some of the best podcasts out there. Thomas Smith hosts Serious Inquiries Only, Opening Arguments and Comedy Shoe Shine
Support the show by becoming a Patron. You can get the full episode, ad free, and early on Patreon if you're a Patron.
You can listen to The Skeptic Studio >>>>>>>here
or you can download it>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>here
(right click and 'save link as' to download)
Links from our chat with Thomas
Here are a couple good quotes from our chat with Thomas
"It's like, I worry when all the smart, reasonable, liberal people have to flee these middle eastern countries. Who's going to be left to make the country better?" (In reference to the question of whether smart liberals should be moving to Canada)
"I wish I could move up to Regina and play ice hockey everyday" (In the same discussion as the above quote)
Here’s the link to the podcast that Lisa referred to
Defending Wikipedia as a source
Cory was on a couple of podcasts so here are the links to those if you want to check them out
Will sent us an email
First he apologized for not keeping in touch. He then went on to say that he though Jeremiah was a great fit for our show and that the out of the ordinary type of discussion we had was interesting. He also sent a list of his favorite podcasts which I’ll include in the show notes.
He mentioned a tradition called Yule which has all the normal Christmas stuff but without any of the religious connotations and recommended it. So that seems like something I’ll have to look into.
- Alice Isn't Dead - (radio drama, scary)
- Approaching the Natural - Better Health (only nutritionist I can listen to without yelling Bullshit!, Woo! or Evidence!? at my phone)
- Ask a Spaceman - (astronomy)
- Astronomy Cast - (astronomy, duh)
- Brainstorm - (atheist, a bit random, smart)
- Common Sense - (politics)
- Hardcore History - (history)
- Dogma Debate - (religion/atheist discussions, current events in atheism)
- Freakonomics Radio - (Economics w/ a twist)
- Freethought Radio - (church/state separation, FFRF)
- FW: Thinking - (Upcoming tech)
- InKredulous - (irreligious comedy)
- Inquiring Minds - (philosophy, science)
- Intelligence Squared U.S. Debates - (variety of debates)
- No Religion Required - (atheist, country folk)
- Point of Inquiry - (science, events, politics)
- Radiolab - (Idk how to classify)
- More Perfect - (amazing history of the supreme court)
- Rationally Speaking - (philosophy)
- Secular Sexuality - (atheist, sex, sexuality)
- Stuff to Blow your Mind - (Stuff you should know but with odder topics)
- Stuff you missed in History Class - (any and all history before 1970, female hosts)
- Stuff You Should Know - (y'all went over this in your show)
- Tech Stuff - (technology)
- The Atheist Experience - (atheists/religious talk, atheist topics)
- The History Chicks - (women in history, female hosts)
- The Moth - (interesting 1st person stories)
- The SGU - (You know them as well)
- The Story Collider - (interesting 1st person stories from scientists and science communicators)
- The Stuff of Life - (cannot classify, amazing)
- The Thinking Atheist - (atheist)
- The WIRED Podcast - (Wired UK)
- Wait Wait Don't Tell Me - (comedy news show)
- Welcome to Nightvale - (radio drama)
- Within the Wire - (radio drama, scary)
Check out the website for a demographic survey. There’s a link at the top with all our website sections, or you can just type it in yourself. It’s https://survey.libsyn.com/brainstormpodcast
I’ve been on a couple other podcasts lately. First I was on The Wayward Atheists Podcast where we discussed far right fascism so I’ll put a link to that in the show notes and I was just on The Inciting Incident Podcast and that will be out on February 3rd. I’ll post a link to that as well, as soon as it’s up.
Links for Dave’s stuff
Links for Angela's stuff
Links for Destin's Stuff
Links for Rene's Stuff
Links for Leo's Stuff
Links for Cory's Stuff
So that’s where we’re going to end the episode. Make sure to check out the show notes on our website, brainstormblog.net.
You can get bonus content, full length ad free episodes and other bonuses by becoming a patron at Patreon.com/brainstormpodcast, just like Darryl, Will, Rob, Nathan, Destin, George, Stephanie, and Janet
Join us in two weeks for the next live broadcast on Spreaker. Just enter Brainstorm Podcast into the Spreaker search bar or you can go to our website brainstormblog.net and check out the live show page and the upcoming events page.
Remember to rate us and write a review on iTunes or Stitcher and hit that subscribe button. If you leave a review then let us know and remember to tell us where you’re from so we know which store on itunes to look in.
Thanks to Dave for our intro music, thanks to Alix Capper Murdoch for doing the voice over for the intro and for some of our ads, and thank you to Jason Comeau for our outro music. You can find his stuff at www.aloststateofmind.com
All music played is either with permission or under the SOCAN licence to play. For more information on SOCAN you can check out the music license info on our website brainstormblog.net
T-shirts, mugs, and other cool shit is available at www.cafepress.ca/brainstormpodcastgear
We love to hear from our listeners so shoot us an email at email@example.com or go to our website and hit that contact page. If you have a podcast or website and want a shout out or have a promo to play let us know.
Thanks for listening. Make sure to join us again on February 3rd with our guest Darren McKee from The Reality Check podcast.
Thanks again and remember; The truth matters