A Very Special Kind of Sensory Deprivation Tank
To those listening live or to our patrons, welcome back. For those listening weekly, welcome to Shift To Reason radio the Brainstorm production that focuses on science outreach and education. We’ll try our hand at teaching you a little bit about common skeptical topics, logical fallacies and errors in reasoning, as well as a bit about some religious apologetics. This episode is brought to you by audible.com, sign up for your free trial membership and free audiobook at audibletrial.com/brainstorm.
Support the show by becoming a Patron. You can get the full episode, ad free, and early on Patreon if you're a Patron.
You can listen to Shift To Reason Radio >>>>>>>here(available on October 24)
or you can download it>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>here(on October 24)
(right click and 'save link as' to download)
· A site called second nexus claims that “New Research Establishes That Intelligence Is Inherited from The Mother”
· Supposedly linked to the X chromosome
· “children are more likely to inherit intelligence from their mothers because intelligence genes are located on the X chromosomes (and mothers have two).”
· Mother’s do have to X chromosomes
· Not identical – doesn’t actually double the likelihood of a particular gene passing to the child
· Mothers pass only one X onto their children
· Father passes on either an X or Y which determines sex
· Whatever is on the X from the mother can pass to the child
· The father can also pass an X onto a daughter
· The double X that a girl child gets is adjusted downward – each cell turns off most of one of the X chromosomes
· So even if something does pass on via the X chromosome, it may not manifest because of the way some cells shut down part of the X
· Everyone has an X
· Short of a deletion, everyone gets the genes that are on that chromosome
· The Second Nexus site is really talking about a gene variant that may be linked with intelligence, not just genes
· Estimates that half of what we consider intelligence is inherited
· Intelligence is comprised of many genetic variants
· Environmental factors also play a role
· Not just your mother, not just the X, not even just genes
Featured podcast of the week: The Bi Any Means Podcast
Check out our sponsor: Absence of Clothing
COMMON SKEPTICAL TOPICS
Pyramid Schemes and multi level marketing
Breaking down the logical fallacies 14
Equivocation – the misleading use of a term with more than one meaning (by glossing over which meaning is intended at a particular time)
in common parlance it is used in a variety of contexts, when discussed as a fallacy, equivocation only occurs when the arguer makes a word or phrase employed in two (or more) different senses in an argument appear to have the same meaning throughout.han one meaning or sense (by glossing over which meaning is intended at a particular time).
A feather is light.
What is light cannot be dark.
Therefore, a feather cannot be dark.
All jackasses have long ears.
Carl is a jackass.
Therefore, Carl has long ears.
The fallacy of equivocation occurs when a key term or phrase in an argument is used in an ambiguous way, with one meaning in one portion of the argument and then another meaning in another portion of the argument.
The laws imply lawgivers. There are laws in nature. Therefore there must be a cosmic lawgiver
Using an ambiguous term in more than one sense, thus making an argument misleading
Atheism for Dummies part 20 – Apologetics part 8
· Also known as the argument from design
· The universe is an astoundingly complex but highly ordered system
· the world appears fine-tuned to provide exactly the right conditions for the development and sustenance of life
· complexity makes natural explanations unsatisfactory
· There’s some very interesting history to this argument including use by Saint Thomas Aquinas
· Basically the opposite of evolution which shows that despite the appearance of complexity or design there can be a natural explanation
· Does not lead to any particular god but only to a kind of intelligent creator
· The argument of Intelligent Design and Fine Tuning are newer versions
“”But of course any God capable of intelligently designing something as complex as DNA/protein replicating machine must have been at least as complex and organized as the machine itself. Far more so if we suppose him additionally capable of such advanced functions as listening toprayers and forgiving sins. To explain the origin of the DNA/protein machine by invoking a supernatural Designer is to explain precisely nothing, for it leaves unexplained the origin of the Designer. You have to say something like "God was always there", and if you allow yourself that kind of lazy way out, you might as well just say "DNA was always there", or "Life was always there", and be done with it.
“This is rather as if you imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in — an interesting hole I find myself in — fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!”
Listener Feedback and shoutouts
No new patrons this week. Remember folks, if we get up to 25 bucks per episode then I’ll make videos out of our interviews, post them to YouTube and add an entire section of show notes for just the interviews. We’re only 4 bucks short.
by atheistmom 5 stars
What a fun bunch! I love how they are so skeptical, and willing to change their views based on evidence.
Will sent us an email letting us know that the dead baby jokes were not over the line but were so funny he got a headache and almost blacked out because he couldn’t breathe from laughing so hard. He also sent a diagram of his cubical environment. I think he must be disturbing at least 6 people when he listens to our show.
Email Address: email@example.com
Subject: Tumor Research you mentioned
Message: I was listening to your show when I heard you talk about immunoresearch with cancer cells. It just so happens Lauren Udhe (aka The Biology Babe) is a graduate student who is working on that very study in Portland. She is on Facebook as Biology Babe if you want to ever look her up. I interviewed her on my own show a couple weeks ago and she is a fabulous guest that will talk your ear off!
Good luck and keep up the great show!
Plug your stuff
Links for Angela's stuff
Links for Destin's Stuff
Links for Rene's Stuff
Links for Leo's Stuff
Links for Cory's Stuff
So that’s where we’re going to end the episode. Before we go I want to make sure to mention our website, Brainstormblog.net. We have comprehensive show notes, including any notes that I’ve made regarding my stories and any notes that the rest of the crew gives me for theirs.
Shift to reason update – Shift To Reason conference is holding off until 2018 so that we can ensure a good amount of organizing and get the best event possible.
Get bonus content, full length ad free episodes and other bonuses by becoming a patron at Patreon.com/brainstormpodcast, just like Darryl, Will, Rob, Nathan, Destin, and now George and Stephanie
You can join us for the next live broadcast by following us on Spreaker. Just enter Brainstorm Podcast into the Spreaker search bar or you can go to our website brainstormblog.net and check out the live show page and the upcoming events page.
Remember to rate us and write a review on iTunes or Stitcher and hit that subscribe button. If you leave a review then let us know and remember to tell us where you’re from so we know which store on itunes to look in.
Thanks to Dave for our intro music, thanks to Alix Capper Murdoch for doing the voice over for the intro and for some of our ads, and thank you to Jason Comeau for our outro music. You can find his stuff at www.aloststateofmind.com
All music played is either with permission or under the SOCAN licence to play. For more information on SOCAN you can check out the music license info on our website brainstormblog.net
T-shirts, mugs, and other cool shit is available at www.cafepress.ca/brainstormpodcastgear
We love to hear from our listeners so shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or go to our website and hit that contact page. If you have a podcast or website and want a shout out or have a promo to play let us know. We are also offering advertising to podcasts, bands, people, and organizations on the website. Contact us for rates and options.
Thanks for listening and we’ll see you in a couple weeks when we bring on our new crew member; Lisa to see how she likes being part of the crew.