Don't Euthanize Me Bro/Lets Get Pedantic
The Skeptic Studio
October 28, 2016
Hi and welcome to the Brainstorm podcast Skeptic Studio where we do interviews, major topics, and news related to skepticism and atheism. I’m Cory and my panel tonight are Destin, Angela, Rene and Lisa, with the always amazing Dave doing sound. We’re here in Roman Empire studios in Regina, Saskatchewan and today is October 28th, 2016. The Skeptic Studio is brought to you by Reasonist Ink, atheist, skeptic, and science based apparel. You can find them at www.reasonistink.com. We don't have a guest tonight but we do have a new potential crew member. Welcome to the show Lisa.
Support the show by becoming a Patron. You can get the full episode, ad free, and early on Patreon if you're a Patron.
(right click and 'save link as' to download)
as episodes are released there will be an embedded player in this post
After we played a bit of getting to know you we tried to discuss whether horror movies are actually Christian propaganda
Featured podcast of the week: The Utah Outcasts
Check out our sponsor: Absence of Clothing
The Music Break
This is where we’ll take the break for music. For Live listeners and Patrons you can enjoy the next few minutes and then we’ll be back. For regular feed subscribers this is where we’ll end the skeptic studio. I hope you enjoyed it. Remember to subscribe on Itunes, google play or some other podcatcher and check out the show notes at Theskepticstudio.com. we’ll have shift to reason radio for you next week.. If you can’t wait for it then listen live at www.Spreaker.com/show/brainstorm-podcast or go become a patron at www.Patreon.com/brainstormpodcast. So here’s the music break – Ghostbusters by Frog Leap Studios, No Rabbit in the Hat by Wednesday 13, and Living Dead Girl by Rob Zombie
If you buy it from this link the artist gets a bit more money than from Itunes.
Here's a link to his website for more info on Leo and how to get his content or support him
Shift To Reason Radio
To those listening live or to our patrons, welcome back. For those listening weekly, welcome to Shift To Reason radio the Brainstorm production that focuses on science outreach and education. We’ll try our hand at teaching you a little bit about common skeptical topics, logical fallacies, errors in reasoning, as well as a bit about some religious apologetics. This episode is brought to you by audible.com, sign up for your free trial membership and free audiobook at audibletrial.com/brainstorm.
· Berenstain Bears myth – There seems to be a discrepancy between the way Berenstain is spelled and the way people remember it being spelled. There even seem to be some examples of books printed with both spellings
· Paranormal author Fiona Broome calls this phenomenon the “Mandela Effect”
· Many people seem to have false memories of Nelson Mandela dying in prison in the 80’s
· Refers to memories shared by large segments of the population that don’t line up with reality
· A couple examples are In Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980) Darth Vader says: "____, I am your father."
· And In Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937), the wicked queen says: "__________ mirror on the wall, who is the fairest one of all?"
· The answers are No and Magic, not Luke and Mirror
· The Matrix themed meme with Morpheus saying, “What if I told you” didn’t happen in the scene typically depicted but many people falsely remember it in that scene.
· Believers in the Mandela Effect claim that this is more than just cultural propagation of false memories
· They believe that history is being edited
· Not just in the way that someone may change something that is written based on better information but that something is actually changing the past, as though that’s a thing that still exists and can be changed.
· The reason that things appear to have changed is that memories are notoriously unreliable
· It’s not just pop culture that was affected, there are some changes to the King James Bible that apparently convinced some Christians of the Mandela Effect
· I particularly like this quote in the Vice article, “"If you have a memory of the past that is contradicted by nearly all currently available evidence, does that make it less real?"
· The answer of course is, yes.
· He continues, "Does your 'allegedly' erroneous memory become more real because there are others who remember it the same way?"
· To which the answer is of course, no.
· Quite simply this is a case of people being mistaken and believing that can’t be all there is to it
· Another quote from Nathan Stolpman, “Just because somebody believes reality to be different than you and all of your friends think it is, it doesn't mean that person is wrong. It could just mean that the past is different for him than it is for you."
· No, that’s just fucking stupid
· English professor at U of Buffalo; David Schmid who specializes in pop culture and the public fascination with True Crime said, "For many people, the world is a confusing, overwhelming, and even frightening place that appears to be chaotic and random Conspiracy theories, no matter how bizarre they may appear, give people the feeling that the universe is a structured, ordered, and predictable place that obeys definite rules."
· There’s some more stuff here about CERN being a satanic cult but I’m not going to go into that. It’s pure nonsense and easily dismissible without any evidence to support the assertion.
Featured podcast of the week: Packard Pokes At
Common Skeptical Topics
Alkaline diet myths
What is is?
The alkaline diet consists of various foods, defined as alkaline or acidic, that allegedly will bring the pH of the blood to a level of slight alkalinity (7.35-7.45), a level which your body's homeostatic mechanisms will achieve regardless of the alkalinity of your diet. The alkaline diet gurus believe that an alkaline diet will put less stress on the body's natural homeostatic mechanisms and that this is essential to good health.
What are the claims?
There are a lot of health claims regarding the alkaline diet but one of the most harmful in my view is the claim that it can cure cancer. People believe that you can adjust your body’s ph level and make it an inhospitable environment for cancer cells. I suppose that’s true to an extent because if you change your body’s ph by any significant amount then you will die and cancer doesn’t like dead things.
Breaking down the logical fallacies 15
Etymological fallacy – which reasons that the original or historical meaning of a word or phrase is necessarily similar to its actual present-day usage
Listener Feedback and shoutouts
New patrons – Thank to Janet for becoming a patron
I found out who atheist mom is, it’s Gaylene from the Saskatoon group. Thanks so much for the great review. We really appreciate it.
Other than that, no new reviews this time around
@RandyLaMonda thought the chat about multi level marketing and pyramid schemes was quite good and posed the question, “Are churches and religion the biggest of these?”
From William Breen
So I have an Apple laptop that I bought in 2005. Still works just fine. Email, presentations, documents, surfing the web. Might have to purchase a new one next year as the OS is discontinued. Show me a Microsoft-powered PC still going strong after 11 years.
Keep up the good work. And stop interrupting the goddamn guests.
And we got an email from Karen Garst letting us know about her new book Women Beyond Belief: Discovering Life Without Religion. It’s a book of essays from 22 women from different backgrounds who tell their stories of leaving religion. She is interested in being a guest on the show. I will contact here as soon as possible to set that up. We’re booking into February of next year for our guests so until we can get her on I will provide the links to her blog www.faithlessfeminist.com and her social media as well as a link to where you can get her book. Hopefully it’s on Amazon. Facebook, Twitter, Google +, and youtube.
Thanks Karen for reaching out and I’ll get in touch asap.
I’m hoping to create an app for the show for you apple or android device. It costs money though and I’m kind of at my limit for spending on the show between live hosting and normal hosting, the website and studio costs. If we get some more Patrons then I can use that money to create the app. That may be a while, I’ll keep everyone up to date.
Check out the website for a demographic survey. There’s a link at the top with all our website sections, or you can just type it in yourself. It’s https://survey.libsyn.com/brainstormpodcast
Plug your stuff
Links for Angela's stuff
Links for Destin's Stuff
Links for Rene's Stuff
Links for Leo's Stuff
Links for Cory's Stuff
So that’s where we’re going to end the episode. Before we go I want to make sure to mention our website, Brainstormblog.net. We have comprehensive show notes, including any notes that I’ve made regarding my stories and any notes that the rest of the crew gives me for theirs.
Shift to reason update – No updates
Get bonus content, full length ad free episodes and other bonuses by becoming a patron at Patreon.com/brainstormpodcast, just like Darryl, Will, Rob, Nathan, Destin, and now George and Stephanie
You can join us for the next live broadcast by following us on Spreaker. Just enter Brainstorm Podcast into the Spreaker search bar or you can go to our website brainstormblog.net and check out the live show page and the upcoming events page.
Remember to rate us and write a review on iTunes or Stitcher and hit that subscribe button. If you leave a review then let us know and remember to tell us where you’re from so we know which store on itunes to look in.
Thanks to Dave for our intro music, thanks to Alix Capper Murdoch for doing the voice over for the intro and for some of our ads, and thank you to Jason Comeau for our outro music. You can find his stuff atwww.aloststateofmind.com
All music played is either with permission or under the SOCAN licence to play. For more information on SOCAN you can check out the music license info on our website brainstormblog.net
T-shirts, mugs, and other cool shit is available at www.cafepress.ca/brainstormpodcastgear
We love to hear from our listeners so shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or go to our website and hit that contact page. If you have a podcast or website and want a shout out or have a promo to play let us know. We are also offering advertising to podcasts, bands, people, and organizations on the website. Contact us for rates and options.
Thanks for listening and we’ll see you in a couple weeks when we are joined by Chris aka X from the Utah Outcasts podcast